Wednesday, August 28, 2002

For those of us who are not famous, and whose leaders are not speaking for us, peaceful protests are an important way to make our voices heard. "A time comes when silence is betrayal. Silence benefits the oppressor, never the oppressed." And in fact, it is more likely the Summit itself that will not be productive. See "Looking for Icebergs."

GOODALL AT U.N. SUMMIT

Primate Expert Speaks at U.N. Summit
Tue Aug 27, 5:14 PM ET
By KATHY CHENAULT, Associated Press Writer

JOHANNESBURG, South Africa (AP) - Primate expert Jane Goodall told participants at the U.N. development summit Tuesday the fight against terrorism threatens to overshadow environmental concerns in the United States....

Goodall also expressed concern that anti-globalization protesters will divert attention from the summit proceedings.

"I understand their concerns. I sympathize with their causes. But what we really need to do is put that energy into our discussions and meetings, not give fuel to the people who warn about overzealous environmentalism. Protests, even if they are peaceful, just aren't productive," she said....

"I miss the forest, I go twice a year to see the chimps. But you wouldn't believe the access I can get because of my work," Goodall said. "People may turn away Greenpeace, but they'll invite me to meet with them. It's a quiet approach."...